Google Docs can be published as syllabi to Canvas with a few easy steps.
Prepare the Google Doc for Publishing
The Google Doc must be published, meaning it is made public. (Note: that doesn't mean the whole world can see it; it just means that it is able to be accessed if you know how to get to it.)
1. Inside the Google Doc, go to File / Publish to the web.
2. Click on Published content & settings. Select the Embed tab. Make sure that both boxes are checked:
- Require viewers to sign in to their CGI accounts (This ensures only those associated with CGI can see it.)
- Automatically republish when changes are made (If you make changes to the Google Doc, the syllabus in Canvas will automatically be updated.
3. Click the Start publishing button.
4. You will be asked to confirm your choice. Once published, select the Embed tab from the same Publish to the web popup box.
5. Copy the embed code.
Embed the Syllabus in Canvas
1. Select Syllabus from Course Navigation, and click on the Edit button.
2. In the content editing box that appears, switch to HTML mode by clicking on the < / > icon.
3. Copy in the embed code from the Google doc.
4. Now comes the slightly tricky part. The embed code Google generates for the document does not incorporate width and height parameters. Code for sizing the document to fit Canvas must be inserted. You can do this! Stay in HTML mode, and copy what you see below:
5. This code must be inserted after the =true" and before the final caret, as follows:
6. Click Update Syllabus.
Provide Access to a Printable Copy of the Syllabus
Embedding a published copy of the syllabus is convenient, but it's not easy to print. We recommend that you include share view-only access to the syllabus document so students can print it. Here's how:
1. In the Google Doc, click on the Share button. It is usually located in the upper right corner.
2. Adjust the Share settings so the document can be viewed by anyone at Cummings Graduate Institute.
If the document has the correct settings, click on Copy Link, which will copy the link directly to your clipboard.
If the document's settings need adjusting, click on Change .
If the document's permissions need to be adjusted, you can do so in the dropdown menus . Make sure that it is set so anyone from CGI can view.
Be sure to copy the link , and then click Done .
3. Back in Canvas, in the Syllabus area, add the following instruction to the content editor box :
To print this syllabus, you can view it as a Google Doc and then from the menu, click on File/Print. You must be signed in to your CGI Google Drive account to view it.
4. Hyperlink the words "you can view it as a Google Doc" with the link to the syllabus you just copied in the Google Doc, or simply copy in the link. To hyperlink, follow these instructions:
- Highlight the text you wish to hyperlink.
- Click on the link icon in the Rich Content Editor . Select External Links.
- The highlighted text should appear in the Text entry box . If not, you can type it in here or adjust wording as you wish.
- Copy the link into the Link box .
- Select Done when finished.